Sunday 24 June 2012

A Bit More Thinking

So, following on from yesterday's post, I've been thinking, and bearing in mind the question that arose in my mind while writing, I asked some of the Home Ed community on Facebook what they thought about encouraging children to persevere when they feel like giving up.  As usual, I was really encouraged by those who replied... and yet again I come back to the difference between 'encouraging' and 'forcing' a child to persevere.  Really, I suppose you could strike 'persevere' from that statement and replace it with 'do their Maths', or anything else that I want them to do when they don't.  Home Ed is such a completely different mindset from the one I used when teaching in school - my mind (conscious and subconscious) is undergoing such a huge change in how I view learning, and what is valuable within education - I feel a bit lost for words as I try to take it all in (not that that's a bad thing, unless trying to write a coherent blog...!)
So all I have left right now are two links that I have found really helpful this weekend... the first, Ken Robinson Says Schools Kill Creativity isn't new: I saw a few years ago, but my brother brought it back to my attention this weekend - it's a total classic regarding the importance of giving children the space to be creative - and the second, Seven Lessons I Teach, is a brand new article (I believe) that just helps to reinforce what the most important things are that our children learn in Home Ed.
Once I've had time to digest those a bit, I might have some more to say...
Oh, and by the way, in case anyone was wondering - yes we did manage to plan this weekend's activities - a totally awesome day-trip to Colchester Zoo yesterday, and visits with friends today!  It's been a lovely weekend, although I hope not all weekends are so full-on... next weekend will hopefully be planned a bit more gently!

No comments:

Post a Comment